There is more than one reason for seniors moving to a new location. Due to their old age and health conditions, they should be done, so the entire process is stress-free and organized. Therefore, all senior moving tips are needed to ensure that your older family member can safely and stress-free move to the new location.
Move Like a Pro with These 7 Simple Moving Tips for Seniors
The last time the seniors in your family moved was maybe when they moved to their current home. However, with age and failing health, it might be necessary for them to move to a smaller home and reduce the need to move from one room to another as much as possible. To ensure that they can take of their surroundings much better, the following points are the best steps:
- Plan your move
According to the time left, you will need to downsize your belongings and be able to plan according to the space available in the new home. Checking the floor plan will also make it easier for you to understand what room you will have for storage. Additionally, planned moves make it easier for you to see how much space is being shared with neighbors and if there is a need to add more safety features.
- List all the things needed in the new home
Although you have downsized almost all of your belongings to the bare minimum, you will still need a few of the most important things in your new home. Items like towels, personal toiletries, and a change of clothes can be packed into a bag. However, other items like curtains, fire safety alarms, smoke detectors, etc., need to be included in the new home list. Senior Moving Companies can help you understand the most important items in a new home.
- Know your limits
As a senior citizen, it is important to know your capacity when moving to a smaller home in a new location. Taking the help of an expert senior moving company like Sarasota Sunshine Movers can make it easier for you to get all your belongings packed well enough that there is little to no damage.
Also, when packing, it is better to remember and follow the points mentioned below:
- Begin packing in a room that is not used regularly, like a shed, workshop, or garage, as they are the easiest to be packed.
- Sorting and packing will help reduce the need to accommodate large items in a small living space.
- Clearly label each box as you pack with colored paper and name. It will help senior move managers be able to place each box in their respective rooms and reduce the need to sort out everything after opening the box.
- Senior adults need time to figure out the cognitive side of tasks. Therefore, ensuring that the entire senior moving process is done at a slow and steady pace is necessary will help them to adapt to the sudden and big changes they are going through.
- It is good to involve senior move assistance during the unpacking process. Doing so will help in the proper arrangement of belongings and reduce the time needed to start your day in the new home.
4. Involve your family members in downsizing
When downsizing all the possessions with the guidance of your older adult family members, it is good to distribute the unnecessary belongings among each other. Through this downsizing process, you can add to the process of senior moving since the older adult will be able to select the most important belongings that can be placed in the new home.
5. Seek professional consultation
Before you decide to downsize and pack up to move to a new location for your elderly loved one, contacting a professional moving and packing business is a good choice. Discussing all the necessary parts of the senior moving service with a professional senior moving service helps ensure that the entire process is done according to the comfort of the elderly adult.
Several organizations are also helpful in providing senior moving assistance when needed. Some of them are as follows:
- The National Association of Senior Move Managers is a non-profit organization that looks after the senior move. They also ensure that the new residence has been modified according to the needs of the older adult before they move in.
- The American Association of Retired Persons provides rebates ranging from 10 to 20% for its members during the moving process while renting a truck.
- Eldercare Locator is a site funded by the United States Administration on Aging. The website provides information on various senior housing programs.
Also, with the assistance of senior moving experts from Sarasota Sunshine Movers, it will be easier for older adults in your family to an easy to manage and stress-free move to the new location.
6. Start with the big stuff
When the senior move starts, it is the best option to start packing up the biggest belongings like beds, dressers, sofas, tables, and more. These will take up more space in the moving van and decide how much space will be taken up by other smaller possessions. Due to the years of experience of the senior professional moving experts from Sarasota Sunshine Movers, it is easy for them to follow this step fully.
7. Reserve a truck rental service
The senior move managers from Sarasota Sunshine Movers have ensured that all the important possessions have been packed. Then, it is important to reserve a truck that can transport all the packed possessions to the new location. Due to the wide range of services provided by Sarasota Sunshine Movers, renting a truck for the move is possible.
All the above points help ensure that the entire process of senior moving is done in the best way possible and with minimal stress for the older adults. Following each step in the senior moving services, Sarasota Sunshine Movers and their years of experience help move to the new location easily and without stress.
Good Moving Company That Will Handle Your Move For You
Before choosing the most suitable moving company, it is important to research the quality of their services. Asking previous customers about the quality of packing and other services from senior moving services providers is a good place to start.
Also, searching for senior downsizing services near me on the internet can help you select at least three companies and research their prices and services. Then, after due research and understanding, you can choose the most suitable moving company that suits all your needs and requirements.
Sunshine Sarasota Movers has a wide range of services that help seniors settle into their new homes. They also help in downsizing, taking inventory, and packing delicate items to minimize the chances of damage. Therefore, choosing Sarasota Sunshine Movers, with its wide range of services, is the best choice for senior moving services.
What is the most reliable moving company?
Depending on the research done and the reputation, you can choose the most reliable moving company.
Do moving companies give senior discounts?
Moving companies mention and provide senior discounts when selected for senior moving needs. So it is important to ensure that these discounts are availed at the earliest.
What should seniors get rid of before moving?
Before moving, seniors should eliminate duplicate, damaged, or unusable items. They should also get rid of anything they do not need to use at the new location.
What is the right age for seniors to downsize?
The correct age for seniors to downsize is between 65 to 74 years of age.